Sunday, April 13, 2008

Prayer for Taylor Strand

Last week Tom's brother let me know about an incident involving one of his former students. Her name is Taylor Strand. Dan taught her in 4th grade. As a teacher, I know how horrible it is to know what one of "your kids" (which they are yours once you've spent a year of life with them) is in trouble.

She's in 8th grade and was involved in a fire pit accident. Basically she was engulfed in flames. She is in critical condition in MN with 3rd degree burns on 70% of her body. She is scheduled for her 2nd surgery tomorrow (Monday). Please keep this sweet girl in your prayers!



I've never posted my own student here - Axel - but many of you know that I taught a student who is facing dire circumstances. He is in need of a kidney transplant. He has no functioning kidneys - actually last year they had to remove both dead kidneys because they were so infected they were making him sick. His name is Axel - he was one of my 1st graders. He has lived a long life for a little boy. When he was in Kindergarten he had surgery to remove a brain tumor. Then his Kidney disease hit. It's been heartwrenching on one had to watch this sweet little boy go through so much - but also a lesson in joy because you'd never know Axel was facing these things. He was ALWAYS the bright spot in my day. He's in 2nd grade this year and I pray that he will be able to raise the money for his transplant (they are uninsured) and that he'll have many many years to bless many more people the way he has touched me!

1 comment:

Uncle Dan said...

Thanks for posting Taylor's story!

According to the latest update, today's surgery went well. I continue to be encouraged by her progress, as the initial prognosis was grim. Taylor is tough-minded and perseverant, and those traits will serve her well during her long recovery.

Thanks for all of your continued prayers on her behalf!