Sunday, January 23, 2011

Book Review - Love On Assignment

I recently read Love On Assignment by Cara Lynn James. I must admit that this is not my normal genre of literature. I tend to approach Christian romance with a bit of hesitation, but for some reason this book captured my attention. The story is set in Newport, Rhode Island in the early 1900's and focuses on the life of a young woman, Charlotte Hale, as she seeks to become a reporter. Charlotte begins working her way up in a local newspaper and is offered an opportunity to go undercover as a governess to break a big scandalous story. However, as she seeks the truth for her story, she learns about his religion - which is the source of the scandal. As the Truth comes out, she is faced with a decision to continue to spy on a family she comes to care about, or risk losing her own job and her only means of supporting her own family.

I actually found Love On Assignment to be an easy and enjoyable book. With small children around, finding time to read is rare. However, this book was easy to pick up and dive right into. The plot was predictable, but the characters were endearing. This is actually the second book in the Ladies of Summerhill series and I am now interested in reading the first book. Obviously each book can stand on it's own. I think the historical setting is what I enjoyed the most. I walked away from this book with a greater appreciation of the religious tensions that existed in the early 1900's as big business and factories were booming and workers dealt with deplorable conditions.

If you are looking for a casual and enjoyable book, this is a great option!

I received this book without charge from Thomas Nelson Publishing for review. I was under no obligation to write a positive review. These are my own opinions.

No comments: