Monday, October 17, 2016

Slice of Life

Now that we are home, we settle into a "normal" routine of sorts.  I think that really means that we learn to go with the flow.
Here's a slice of our life....

Megan has started a few independent projects - ones that she's created.  She is working to perfect the perfect dog treat.  I love when she comes to me and says, "mom, can we look for something online?" because I know that means, she has a plan....
 Nicole, not wanting to be left out of the computer time - usually begs to get online to work on her RAZ kids reading.  Honestly - it's a win- win for mom!

Then there are our "normal" school moments in the basement classroom.
 And field trips - like our excursion to the zoo.  We are working to get our "zoo passport" stamped every month of the year so they can earn the credit to spend the night at the zoo.  And we had to go check in on our little flamingo chicks.  They hatched days before our last visit (right before our big trip).  They aren't so little anymore.

 And we had to make sure we get as much of the meerkats as we can.  They are leaving the zoo at some point.  They just haven't thrived at Zoo Atlanta, so they will be rehomed somewhere.

 And this was the first visit in a looooooong time when the giraffes have been at the feeding stand.  We had a credit so we got to cash it in.  Glad we didn't wait, 2 lettuce leaves after us, he just up and walked away.




And - wowzers.... I can honestly say I knew this Greater Kudu was out there... but he's always hidden.  But this day we got a great view of him.  He's huge!


 Since little panda cubs were born while we were gone, Lun Lun and the babies are off exhibit.  But we had to spend some time with the Mei's - they will be leaving soon to head to China.  My girls are soooo sad they are leaving.


One of our daily routines is our walk....  One day Nicole and I were walking home from the playground, and Megan rode ahead on her bike and found some Turkey Vultures.  She actually didn't see the vulture who was sneaking up behind her - she was watching the one in the yard - the one eating the squirrel. 


 These guys drove home the reality of the food chain!


We have also found the coolest art tutorial online.  My girls LOVE it..... It's called Art For Kids Hub.    It is so fun and creative.  My girls beg for art time.... and that's after school is done.



Our first project was "watercolor leaves" - love them!

Later the girls asked to do a drawing tutorial - so they decided to learn to draw otters....



 Megan and I have been working hard to figure out what of her 4th grade curriculum works and what doesn't work. I think that'll be the struggle all year.  We've basically thrown out math (the set up was driving us both crazy!) but while we look for curriculum that fits - we are using some online resources to teach the concepts I know she needs and some other resources to back it up.  working so far.... but I'm praying to find a good curriculum so I know that I'm not leaving gaps.

 Nicole - she's just plugging along.   We are also doing some purging of what I don't like and working to find a better fit in a few areas, but so far she's just plowing through.   We just started a new writing curriculum and I'm hoping that will be a better fit for both girls.



Another first.... their first homeschool class!  The girls went to their first homeschool science/nature class at a local nature center.  And they loved it!!!!!

And I'll leave you to what they chose to do in their free time after class..... a little more art!


And a biggie for my baby.... she had her first American Heritage Girls meeting.  She's so excited to earn some badges!

Our slice of life....  some days it's sweet.... some days it's got some sour in it....  But I'll take every bite!

No comments: